Over the past few years, the trend of adding a backyard cottage to your property has been gaining popularity among homeowners. These miniaturized and independent units, which are also referred to as accessory dwelling units (ADUs), are constructed in the backyard of an existing home and offer a multitude of uses, ranging from accommodating guests or family members to generating additional income through rental purposes.
Backyard cottages are very easy to build, so you do not need to wait for many months before you start using a new space. Moreover, some projects are designed for a small budget, so you can always pick a configuration according to your financial condition.
In this review, we will talk about what advantages backyard cottages have and what categories of this ADU exist.
Backyard Cottages Benefits
The pros of backyard cottages go beyond just providing additional living space. Here are a few more reasons to consider if you would like to build a backyard cottage:
- Increased property value. A well-designed and well-built backyard cottage can increase the overall value of your property because households that have extensions and differ from standard plans always attract the attention of customers. This can be especially beneficial if you plan to sell your home in the future.
- Cost-effective living. Backyard cottages can be a cost-effective way to add living space to your property. They are typically less expensive than adding onto your existing home and can also be rented out to generate extra income.
- Reduced carbon footprint. By building a backyard cottage, you can reduce your carbon footprint by using fewer resources than a larger home would require. Additionally, many backyard cottages are designed with energy-efficient features like solar panels and high-efficiency appliances.
- Increased privacy. A backyard cottage can provide additional privacy for both you and your guests. By separating the living spaces, you can enjoy your own space while still having your loved ones nearby. Furthermore, in order not to send guests home late at night, you can provide them with a sleeping place in the backyard cottage for greater security.
- Versatility. As mentioned earlier, backyard cottages are incredibly versatile and can be customized to meet your specific needs and preferences. You do not need to pick a cliched design solution, because you can customize the interior of the cottage the way you want. This will emphasize your creativity and set you apart from other homeowners.
On the whole, in addition to the factors described above, it is also worth noting that backyard cottages are a great place to relax and unwind. After a hard working week, there is nothing better than spending three or four hours in a calm atmosphere listening to music, watching a movie, or just sleeping without the loud laughter of children or the barking of a pet.
Backyard Cottages Types
During this review, we repeatedly mentioned the fact that there are a huge number of categories of backyard cottages. This is because this type of building has a small area, which means it can be customized according to all wishes of clients. Homeowners have different ideas about what an ideal backyard cottage should look like, which leads to the fact that each project turns out to be unique.
Nevertheless, among the many options we will highlight for you the top-5 most in-demand and multifunctional picks:
The Guest Cottage
Do you often receive guests in your house who stay overnight? If yes, a guest cottage could be the ideal addition to your backyard. This living space is equipped with all the necessary systems, is characterized by increased comfort and coziness. In addition, the guest house will save you from potentially embarrassing situations, for example, a queue for one bathroom in the main house.
The Granny Flat
If you have an aging parent or relative who needs a little extra care, a granny flat could be the perfect solution. This type of backyard cottage is designed to be accessible for seniors and can include features like grab bars in the bathroom and wider doorways to accommodate mobility devices. A granny flat can provide a loved one with a sense of independence while still allowing you to provide care and support when needed.
Overall, when our parents get old, we want to spend as much time with them as possible, however, if you are separated by thousands of miles, then this greatly complicates the situation. Fortunately, there is always an option with a granny flat, which will permit you to be close to each other.
The Rental Unit
One of the most in-demand uses for backyard cottages is as a rental unit. By renting out your backyard cottage, you can generate extra income and help alleviate the housing shortage in your community. Rental units can be designed to accommodate one or two people and can include features like a full kitchen, bathroom, and separate entrance. The backyard cottage is perfect for a student or a young couple. This is an ideal situation when you have passive income and people have quality housing.
The Artist’s Studio
If you are an artist, a backyard cottage can be the perfect space to work on your craft. A studio cottage can be designed to provide ample natural light, a spacious work area, and storage for your art supplies. It can also serve as a place to showcase your work to potential clients and buyers. Moreover, a backyard cottage can be equipped for any kind of art, whether it is hand-carved wood, pottery, or making dioramas.
The She Shed or Man Cave
For those looking for a space to relax and isolate themselves from the noise and bustle of the surrounding world, a she shed or man cave backyard cottage could be just the ticket. This type of cottage can be designed to include a bar area, comfortable seating, and entertainment options like a TV or sound system. In addition, one of the corners can be turned into a sleeping place. If watching hockey or playing board games with friends lasts until late at night, then one of your guests can spend the night here with maximum comfort.
Our rating did not include such options as a playhouse for children or a home office, which are also worthy of your attention. Overall, no matter how you look at it, a backyard cottage is an excellent investment that is guaranteed to pay off, increase the value of your property, and bring the living conditions for your family to a new level.